Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

My 'design' wall is home made out of one by fours to fit in the hallway outside the quilting room. Its about seven foot high, that's the height of the ceiling to floor. It runs from the beginning of the hallway, to almost the quilt room door, therefore, I can get a large queen sized quilt on the board. It is framed with the one by fours, with hardboard fastened to the frame, with batting glued to the hard board...and cork glued around the edge, then flannel is used to cover over the batting and stapled down to the edges and back. Then its securely mounted on the wall. A double panel, put together with piano hinges and covered the same way, stands in my quilt room for smaller projects or a new block to try out for looks and color.

I planned the quilt room I sew in, but it was a try and error situation, and still is...dh said he was moving in at the last minute...and we shared for awhile, but finally after seven years, he moved his sewing machines into his room. Although its just over fourteen feet long and and about 13 feet wide, I feel I still do not use all the space effectively. For short cut, I used the pre-cut shelves, cabinets and storage corner units sold by home depot. And I still sew on an old typewriter stand, not a regular sewing machine stand. Fabric is stored on the bare shelf or in plastic tubs...or as projects in a tub. Color is all white, with vinyl square tile floor. One north window lets in some light, but we added inset lights and one hanging light with five bulbs over my sewing machine....purchased at home depot for $39...