Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
SteveH
Banned

Ok, I have just finished looking into this.

Here is the Wiki on the software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IrfanView

Here is one review of the issue:
latest version of the utterly brilliant freeware imaging tool. When you install it, it now asks if you want to install the Google Toolbar – a BHO for Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer which lets you search using Google. Some sources reckon this is spyware, and indeed Spybot Search & Destroy will detect and remove it, but others say it isn’t.
Although I have previously withdrawn endorsements for programs after they became spyware-infested, I will make an exception here, since:
----- I can’t be sure that it really is spyware
----- Removing it using its uninstaller is painless and effective
----- It is optional (although ticked by default)
----- Irfanview is so damn useful

Here is another review of this subject.
""Irfanview itself is not malware, but when Irfanview began optionally installing the Google Toolbar with it's executable installations, many of us raised eyebrows. I am very leery of corporate toolbars, such as the Google Toolbar.
Upon installing Irfanview, you can opt to not install the Google Toolbar. Irfanview had long been thought of as one of the best Image Viewers available, but in past years it's become somewhat bloated. The association with the Google Toolbar was the straw that broke some long time users backs and caused them to look for replacement software.

In that light, check out a very fine freeware image viewer and manipulator programs that rival Irfanview:
Faststone ImageViewer Http://www.faststone.org/""

I am not sure if the corruption came from CNET or what but I have downloaded the file directly and have scanned it myself. I installed it on a clean PC here and did a series of scans. The only thing that Irfanview tried to install on this system was the Google toolbar which I unchecked during installation so it would not.

Again,I really apologize for this issue and if anyone would like to try it but would rather not risk spyware, PM me and I will shoot you a direct copy.