View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
nhweaver

I would love to go on a quilt cruise too! I never heard of them, but I will be looking online.

Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
Lots of good suggestions have been given already - here is my list.
Do you know how to use a longarm? If not, take a class (at a local store, if possible). Do NOT allow the dealer to talk you into buying - better to wait for a set-up available used by someone who is upgrading. Also, there is quite a range in price for longarm machines and frames. Do you intend to quilt for yourself? Or are you thinking of going into business? If you find that longarm quilting is not "your thing". then the sit-down Sweet Sixteen might be a good fit. These are both options that you can try at a lot of different quilt shows - not just the big ones. Better if you live within reasonable distance of a dealer. As far as fabric goes, if you already have a stash, you likely don't need anything beyond the already suggested Kona neutrals. If your taste changes from what you have on hand, you can always use that for the backs so don't worry about that one. Machine-wise depends on what you already have. If you are happy with your current machine, put $$$ into a replacement fund for somewhere down the road. I bought two machines second-hand from guild members who were upgrading and I'm happy with both of them - one is an Elna 7200 Quilter's Dream and the other is a Bernina Artista 170 with the embroidery unit (which I have yet to use) - $500 and $900, respectively. I don't have to have the latest - it just needs to have the features I want. Needle up/needle down is essential! Had these not become available, I was saving for a Janome with a large harp. Others have mentioned traveling to a big quilt show and taking classes. How about a quilt cruise? I'll even volunteer to go with you! That's on my bucket list. Finally, if you live alone, have your sewing room wherever you want to spend your day. Good lighting, adequate space for cutting, sewing and quilting are necessities. And, if you share your home with a partner, it's time to discuss a possible new allocation of the space.