View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
LynnVT

As I've said before, one of the things that really got me into quilting is the wonderful quilt shop one mile from my house in our little country town. The owner is a passionate person, and most of her employees spend every minute they can helping you if you need it. If you want to just wander around, as I often do, petting the fabric, that's ok too. They have good quality stuff and I buy what I need when I need it, or want it. I've taken classes and brought in works in progress for advice on how to quilt it, back it, or improve it. There are three other good shops 10-15 miles away, each one different and each wonderful. They have occasional sales and helpful employees. I want them all to stay in business, but I also need to save my retirement bucks. I shop there carefully and am delighted when daughters give me lqs gift cards for holiday gifts. I do buy batting and notions at the box stores or an independent discount fabric store near here when I can. One big difference now is that we consider quilts not as necessities made out of scraps, but as art, made out of the best materials we can afford. Everyone does the best they can, and what feels right to them. It's too bad people set up ways to compete or scorn one another. I love sharing ideas and reading what works for others. Lighten up, quilt police! We're all in it for the fun!!