View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
ArchaicArcane

As an option to sending it to the states (the further it goes, the more likely it will be damaged or lost, etc), consider talking to a few of the local autobody shops. It's automotive paint that they use for the featherweights anyway.

It's a "small" job, and if you're not looking for a totally exotic color (or pearl, etc) they may paint it at the same time as something else the same color, and charge you less. Some shops will do side work, especially if they don't have to heat up a booth for the job specifically. I had a motorcycle fairing done that way, it cost me about $100. The FW is smaller, but a little more complex as far as contours, and it was about 8 years ago I had the fairing done, so YMMV.

I painted the next set of fairings in a "booth" I made of our shed. I'm probably going to do one of my 221s here, as soon as I can find the time. It's already disassembled and waiting impatiently for me to get to it. I just want to wait until it's warm enough to not have to heat up the garage for a few days, and to be able to park the bikes and car outside. (so I have a few months. *sigh*)

What's putting you off doing it yourself?

I've also heard, from a body man, that there are some really good paints you can get in a spray bomb these days, clear coat included. (Hint, it's not the Canadian tire stuff) so a booth and an air gun (and gun wash, and nasty 2 part paints with hardeners, etc.) are not necessary anymore.