View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
kay carlson

This afternoon I puttered in my sewing room rearranging my scraps by color. I went from the tinited plastic boxes with covers for my precuts with all colors mixed together for the size to boxes by color.. I can tell at a glance that the colored boxes are precuts: 1.5 inch strips, 2.5 inch(light and dark), neutrals. In flat 12x12 inch colored boxes I corraled the cut pieces by color: 6 inch squares, 4.5 inch squares, various short strips and triangles. Example: blues in one box; purple, green and teal share another box. My flat 12x12 inch clear boxes hold WIPs.

I am happy to accept scraps, launder them and cut them up for scrappy quilts. Yes, there is a special recepticle to receive these scraps until I cut them down. Scraps that I don't want to cut down at this time are in tinted shoe boxes by color grouping. I am finally at the stage where I wanted easier access to colors for design purposes. This is just one of the ways in which I have changed and "refined" my system at different stages.

You will find your style and work out your own system. IMHO keeping up with putting things away will be the trick to being pleased with storage/access. Good luck!

Last edited by kay carlson; 01-15-2013 at 07:18 PM.