View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM
coopah

I buy what I like where I like. Period. That's it. I could give a rip if something is "current" or high end or low end. I shop anywhere and rarely pay designer prices for anything. I can do more with money saved without someone else's name stitched/printed on it. Grew up wearing dresses made by my Gram or from the basement of G.C. Murphy's. Thought I'd won big time when I had a "store bought" dress. I know how to look for quality and value and to resist the come ons. I buy greeting cards...NOT from Hallmark (made in China), but from the Dollar Tree (made in USA).
Some folks need to get off their high horses and let newbies enjoy the process of learning. How do you tell a good fabric? Hold it up to the light. If you see lots of light, it's not good for a quilt, but might work fine for a one use item (like a costume). Feel it...smooth and silky...that's great for a quilt. Buy what you can...many quilts from my early days were made from broadcloth or leftovers from my kids' clothes. Whatever you do, as a newbie, enjoy the process and ignore the "know-it-alls." Because they don't ...know it all...only you know what's good for you.

Last edited by coopah; 01-16-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: deleted repitition