Thread: Selling quilts?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
cathyvv

Very enterprising for a 13 year old. Remember that talent will be rewarded, no matter what your age!

Do you have a sewing machine? I hope so, as that makes the process go faster. Also, do you have a mentor - someone knowledgable about sewing who can help you learn the quilting craft?

Start small. Think baby quilts! Here's one I made - very simple pattern - that used only fabrics I got on sale. It's going to my new grandson. This is called a 'panel' quilt, because the focal point is a center panel. This particular panel is not a 'real' panel, but was cut from a 1.5 yard fabric. I cut it about 28 inches wide and 40 inches long. Then I just bordered it and put 9 patch blocks in the corner. The fabric - because it was on sale, most of it for $1 a yard, probably cost me under $15. Since the pattern is so simple, it took relatively short time to sew, as well.

That's how I suggest you start out - pick up 100% cotton sale fabrics at very low prices. Your first quilts are practice quilts, the ones where you learn how to cut fabric and sew straight.

Good luck to you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388413[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sany0044-1024x768-.jpg