View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

You are going through what a lot of us went through when we started out. The best advice I can offer is, while it's difficult, let things people say go in one ear and out the other. Just like there are clothing "snobs", car "snobs"... there are those who are just as particular about their quilting.

That being said there ARE differences between the quality box stores offer in the quilting realm than quilt shops. Honestly, the first four or five years I was quilting I really just didn't know what to look for...I couldn't have been able to tell you the difference between good quality or poor. It really just takes experience with both ends of the spectrum, and then deciding what YOU like and prefer.

I think it's fine to use what's readily available and I often do. Just like a foodie when delving into fine food will shoot for the best quality ingredients, once you perfect your skill you may find yourself craving higher quality materials. But there is nothing wrong with whatever you chose to use, it's completely your personal preference...and while not all of us can afford to drive Bently's, not all of us can use quilt shop qualilty fabric all the time...and there's nothing wrong with that!