Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
As a beginner, I went the easy route first, and started with 3 fabrics from a designer's line (in Joann's). The gals here seemed to think I did ok in matching the other two coordinating fabrics, so I feel 'qualified' to answer.

What *I* did was simply pick out two colors from those fabrics, then went to the 'rainbow' fabric bolts and tested each one against the 3 I already had. It was a TEDIOUS process! We must have tested every shade of yellow/gold/mustard in the place. I finally settled on one that worked, then it was off to the browns.

My mom couldn't figure out what I meant when I said I needed a "dirt" brown, and when we were testing them, to me it was clear (at least with brown) when there was a hint of red or a hint of rust or yellow or purple in the fabric that wouldn't do for the project. It's hard for me to explain without having them side-by-each to show you what I mean. Some were very close, but just a hair "off" and wouldn't match. Maybe having a little art background helps, but I find it a relatively easy task because I know what I'm looking for (in my head), but it's more difficult when you're standing in the fabric aisle and not seeing what you need.

Here's a pic of my project fabs: [ATTACH=CONFIG]388440[/ATTACH]
Love, love, love how the plaid matches everything so well. Yellow is next to impossible to match IMO.