View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Ok, I have read every post in this thread with amusement, as with so many other threads in the past discussing the pros and cons of JoAnns and others. I'll throw my two cents in. IN MY OPINION, I have 3 Joanns all about the same 30 miles or so in distance, but in different directions, and I do MOST of my shopping in 2 of the three ( the smaller of the three but the largest of the three by far is also very pleasant to shop in, with several cutters and every time I have been in, at least 5 cashiers. I have never had a problem with staff, I usually stick to buying the premium brands of fabric, but occasionally will pick up some Keepsake, all my notions, iron-on embroidered patches, battings and interfacings, purse making hardware, and occasionally, a book or pattern. I NEVER pay full price, I go armed with coupons from Internet (DH gets them to his email too), the mailers, and anywhere I can find them. I study the sale brochure I get in the mail, make a list of things I want, and if I can't use all the coupons, I give them to someone else shopping that might not have them. I always rummage through the red tag table, and most of the time, manage to save an average of 50% on my total bill. I also have a 10% off total purchase VIP card, even on sale and red tag fabrics. When I receive a coupon for 25% off total purchase, I wait until that is good and shop then. Recently, I looked at Batiks which were not on sale, so I took advantage of one of my 50% coupons to get a couple of yards. In a nutshell, I do my homework to get the most out of the coupons and sales they offer. I rarely need to get something in particular that can't wait until it is either NOT on sale so I can use a coupon, or it is on sale for 40-50% off. If they are busy at the cutting table, I check first, then take a number and continue shopping until my number is called. I usually meet such nice people shopping and will usually strike up a conversation while waiting. I only had one mistake on a receipt, which they fixed immediately. I am sure lucky my experiences with customer service have been good. I feel sorry for you who do not have good employees in your Joanns. I would love to be able to afford to always shop at a LQS, but just can't. When I do go in, I usually look for the sale table or rack and only buy then. (Having just said that, I forgot I did buy at full price the entire set of 9 McKenna Ryan Home Tweet Home patterns and the background/sashing/border fabrics at a LQS on a shop Hop this year). I just enjoy the shopping experience, fondling the fabric! I don't feel I buy inferior fabrics, I check the quality, and so far have been happy with what I buy. I also LOVE Connecting Threads, and have bought a few times from Hancocks on line, but still prefer to buy in person. 'Nuff said-I'm going to bed to dream about the fabric I am NOT buying now because of my moratorium for the year(or until I break down and blow it!)