View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
grammy Dwynn

Lisa ~ What size are the blocks and quilt top? What type of batting do plan on using? Different battings have a suggested stitch distance. Hobbs is 4" and Warm and Natural is 10" Depending upon the size of your bow ties you might not be able to stitch in the ditch.

IMHO ~ I think it would look cool to X thru all the yellow plain blocks with a variegated thread and IMHO doing X'ing on the quilt is easier than SID. You would be able to go from one corner straight to the opposite corner all the way across the quilt. Where as, SID you are following the ditch and your eyes cross, you jump out of the ditch and swear, then your shoulders get tense and your back hurts . . . but you are bound to get it done.... then you jump out the ditch AGAIN :evil: and do some more swearing ... and turn the music up louder so no one hears you swearing OMG the back is really getting tight. UH-OH I think I am having a flash back. Would that be Post traumatic 'SID' syndrome?

Thread basting is mostly used for hand quilting.

Pinning is time consuming (and sometimes back breaking), but IMHO a great learning method and it gives you 'room' for errors. Remember use your fist as your measurer. Pins should be 3" - 4" apart.

Spray basting has lots of benefits . . . I like 505 ... but if you spray to heavy it is a dickens to 'adjust' the fabrics. Sprays are best if you go lightly, not the motto 'more is better'. But looking (I'm guessing) your quilt is a large lap to a small twin. For learning on using sprays IMHO I would start smaller (crib, table topper etc)

Sorry about all the IMHO . . . but we all have to learn what works for us. For me I spray smaller quilts, pins the mediums and the LARGE/HUGE ones goes to the quilter.

I sure hope I'm not scaring people about quilting their own quilts :roll:

good luck