View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
ghostrider

I think some of the confusion in this thread is due to semantics. PaperPrincess tried to point out that canvas and oils are not technically 'tools', they are supplies, and that's a significant difference.

To learn a new technique, be it printmaking, sculpting, or quilting, premium quality supplies are not essential for success, but the quality of the tools used can have a major effect not only on the result of your effort, but also on whether you remain motivated to continue learning the craft.

Where quilting is concerned, for example, it's one thing to use lesser quality fabric and thread while you're learning and something else altogether to use a 'make-do' machine that doesn't behave as it should and a ruler that is crooked. When I advise others, I always suggest they start with inexpensive, easily found supplies until they've had a chance to try the techniques (surface design mostly) and decide if they want to take it to the next level.

There are many here who consider themselves artists, myself included though I personally prefer either fiber artist or textile artist to fabric artist, and many who do not. It makes absolutely no difference what we call ourselves, or what others call us for that matter. What matters is how we feel about what we do, who we are, what we produce, and what we leave behind.