View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default Why you so noisy??

I recently picked up a 201-3 that's probably going to have to turn into a parts machine. (The body's that rough, no one would take it, and I need the spool pin plate from it)

Since the motor shaft still turns, I thought I'd rewire the motor. Now, I confess, I did -not- test the motor before I rewired, I took the word of the girl we bought it from. She said "Here you want to see that it still runs?" I looked at the wiring and said "No! Don't plug that in! I believe the motor works to some degree, I'm not worried." After all, with the shellac largely gone, the decals worn off, it not being -that- rare a machine, and it having the plate I needed, chances are it would never "run" again.

Well here's the thing: I figured if the motor would run, it could also become a donor. So I went in, cleaned the armature, checked the brushes, added grease (I'm not sure it's been greased ever in its life!) checked the wiring, replaced the cracked wiring from the marrettes to the outlet, and reassembled. Then I fired it up.

A few things came to mind.
1. Where did you learn to yell like that? It's the loudest motor I can remember ever hearing for a sewing machine. It sounds "normal", just really loud, maybe slightly higher pitched. (not scrubbing in the brushes loud) I can't see sewing in another room while DH is trying to sleep, which I can do with almost any other machine in the house.
2. Simmer down young fella!! It's by far the fastest moving motor I've heard or seen in the BAJ series. I'd say 20 - 30% faster as a guess. Watching the armature spin with the cover to the brushes off, at full speed it looks like the sparks are starting to turn to a tiny fireball, not individual sparks like I'm used to seeing.
3. Where'd you get that? I found this sitting on my desk when I disassembled. I don't recall ever seeing it in any other BAJ motors I've disassembled,... does anyone recognise it? Is it the quiet switch? Its measurements are roughly 11/16ths by 7/16th and the bend is not quite in the middle. I'm pretty sure it wasn't left over from the 411G I just serviced, or the electronic foot pedal that I wired up, but it has no Singer part number on it, so who knows.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388709[/ATTACH]
DH says it's 99% unlikely it was rewound for more power or anything, so I don't understand the speed thing, but I can live with it. The noise though... WOW! Any thoughts on why it's yelling at me? How about the weird metal tab?
Attached Thumbnails 201-3motorwhatsit.jpg