View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM
nycquilter

Actually, I do consider myself an artist and quilting to be my medium. I have many years of "art" training and have used all that knowledge in quilting. That said, I used my mother's 1952 Singer for about five years before I changed/upgraded my machine. That older machine, which I loved and passed on to a friend, just couldn't handle the newer threads I wanted to use in my quilting. My "new" machine was my mother's newer Bernina because she upgraded. I used that machine for years and years happily but finally chose to buy myself the machine *I* chose--my gift to me for earning my Ph.D.

It was not the machine that changed how I view my art--it is art to me, whether it is a string quilt or a more difficult pattern or whatever I make. My hands and mind work together to make it. That is what I consider art. It also calls to me. The fabric tells me what to create or I get an idea while driving or walking in the woods. I used to grade dates by how many quilts I designed in my head while on the date--the more quilts, the less attractive the date looked!

And, in my many art classes, I was never told to buy cheaper items. I was given a range of items with explanations of why one was preferred (by some). I also was taught to stretch canvas and not rely upon others to do the work for me. That gave total control of one's work. From my first studio art class in college, I was sent to a store from which "Professionals" shop--I could see the range of both tools and supplies.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. If you see yourself as an artist, you are. No one has to agree or disagree. At least, that is my humble opinion. I live in a building that was originally built for students at the Art Students League of NY in the 1890's. When I moved in 30+ years ago, I had quite the discussion with a new neighbor who said what I did wasn't art because it wasn't painting. I simply stared at her then had to laugh. What about sculpture? what about pottery? what about collage? Art is art.

Laurie (who is also pontifical--*G* )