Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM
maviskw

You don't need to go out and buy paper. Use trash fabric. Old bed sheets work perfectly, especially the parts that are very worn, but not worn through. The sides of a fitted sheets are usually not worn much at all, and if you use those, you will add a lot of weight to your quilt. I tear mine in different widths, from 2 1/2 to 4 or even 5 inches, and piece them to make strips a little longer than I want my quilt to be.

I put a piece of fabric, face up, on the top of one strip, then put the second piece face down, Be sure the side you will be sewing on is STRAIGHT. The edge of the first piece doesn't have to be straight, just the next piece. Sew it in a seam, anything wider than an eight of an inch will do. Flip it so it covers the next spot on the foundation strip. Then add the next piece. Here is where I start a new strip so that I can chain sew. I usually have four going at once; sew a piece to all four then cut off the first three and bring them to the front and sew on another piece. All those long tails sometimes get kind of tangled, but I've learned to handle that. After all the strips are covered and you have enough for the width you want, sew them all together. A scrappy binding looks good on this. Use all your left-over binding pieces and sew them together. If some are very long, I cut them up.

I've made three like this. They are called Confetti Quilts.