View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
ArchaicArcane

Sometimes I wish these machines could talk. I know that the 411G was produced into the 60s (the manual has a date of 1963) when the 500 and 503 would have been current models. Is it possible that the replacement motor was factory installed because they ran short? Or perhaps a creative OSMG did it for the same reason.

Joe - sorry to help you add to your collection when you're trying to downsize! The 411G is interesting for a couple of reasons besides styling. It looks like a weird half way between rocketeer and 401. It chainstitches, and it's built to be treadled. There are knockouts for the belt. There are pages in the manual pertaining to the treadling of it too. I've read (probably here somewhere) though that you have to remove the motor for optimal dragless treadling. Which would explain why it has the "older style" bobbin winder. Perhaps they realised that it may work better to remove the motor. I've also heard the balance wheel is a little light, and saw a work around to that too. Again, possibly on the QB.

This machine is somehow quieter than the 401/403/503 machines I have here, though that might be luck of the draw, considering it looks to have a replacement motor from one of the above. I haven't spent enough time with the "new" one to know if it's as quiet. I have had the "old" 411G be a little militant though. Sometimes the thread jumps out of one of the guides after sewing for awhile, then my tension messes up. I'll be curious to see if this new one does it as well. If not, maybe I can isolate the problem (I suspect it's user related, but we'll see)

I haven't had a 401G in my sights yet, and I don't recall the differences, other than I think it can be treadled. Miriam has both though, she'll know the differences.

Edit: LOL! I see Miriam has that covered.