View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Sierra

I am close to being in the same boat as you are, and I've been quilting for about 12 years now. I'm not very critical, even of my own work, but piecing and blocks drive me up a creek. I took an 8 once-a-week class, and we were given a "mystery" quilt to do. Happily the class ended before I finished and those 60 blocks are still somewhere in a bin somewhere. It drove me crazy. I can spend hours ripping out, but to do the same blocks 240 times!!! No way! I'm a bit dyslexic and I blame all my faults in life on that (very convenient!). So I applique! Love doing it. Am not outstandingly good at it or at any quilting, but I can turn out a quilt that reflects the interests of the person for whom it is meant, and they have been loved. I can do landscapes, "modern" art, swirls of colors, Cars, tractors, houses.... anything I want) and they are fun.... not particularly good workmanship. I do really admire those quilts with tiny pieces and magnificent designs, but they are not me or mine. Should I learn to do and love doing blocks? I've decided that now that I'm in my 70s I'd rather keep doing what I want to do..... and that is mostly applique. I have done blocks, but they weren't detailed in themselves; their beauty came from the design the blocks made overall. I wish you the best in your quilting journey! I'd also love to see some pictures of your appliqued quilts....

Last edited by Sierra; 01-18-2013 at 12:13 PM.