View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Nancy Ingham

I “Love” your first attempt!!

As a newbie, use a template to trace your pieces, making sure that your pencil is slating in toward the template so as to get an accurate measurement, not away from your template which might give you an extra 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. This can add up over the course of your finished work. Carefully cut out your fabric pieces with scissors instead of a rotary cutter as to again get an accurate cut. Make sure that your seam allowances are all just ¼ of an inch. Then when pressing, as mentioned previously, make sure that you do not drag your iron across your work as to stretch your work. Make sure that you gently place your iron down onto the piece, pick it up when you move it, and then press down onto another piece. Once you become comfortable and accurate with your work, you can start finding short cuts to take while maintaining your accuracy.

I still use templates and scissors and find that in the long run it is rewarding and a great time saver as my quilts always square up nicely when I go ahead and layer them, quilt and bind them. Everyone has their own preference and process. You will find what is comfortable and works successfully for you.

You are doing wonderfully…good luck ….keep up the good work…and enjoy!