View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
TanyaL

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Here's my question, Tanya. You imply that we should use lesser quality supplies and equipment until we reach a certain level. By whose standards? The teacher? The art community? Magazines? I'm guessing this would be why so many of us don't consider ourselves "art quilters" because your implication is there's a hierarchy in the art world, where you would be very pretentious to use "professional" equipment as a beginner. Not so in the quilt world. We can use whatever we want, and if we can afford better equipment and supplies we get them, not when we feel we've graduated from' student" to 'professional', and we all try to be supportive of the work we produce. Just read all the positive comments quilters have received when they show us a photo and say "This is my first quilt"...I can't imagine us saying. "Well, she's just starting, she shouldn't be using a Bernina". I've been to lots of art galleries and lots of quilt shows. Give me a quilt show any day of the week!
No, you misunderstood. When a beginner has asked in different threads what is needed to begin quilting; what should they have, what should they be wary of, etc. Many members have recommended buying the best sewing machine they can afford; buying the best fabric from a LQS as many members are very vocal that big box stores do not carry fabric of sufficient quality to warrant the effort involved in quilting. There has been much advice offered by some members along that line while some members offer more practical advice. But most of the advice is geared to buy what you can afford to spend implying that if you can afford to start with a $5000 sewing machine then get it, if you can afford a $300 machine get that. My question implied that the beginner status would have nothing to do with what person could afford, but what would do the job. And when the skill level exceeded the tool then a more expensive tool with more capabilities was a practical consideration. No one seemed to consider the poor beginner who could afford the $5000 machine and got and discovered quilting was boring for her. And the questions were geared to the artist quilter not the hobbiest. The hobbiest will spend anything for the sake of the hobby. The artist will spend what is needed to further the art. The art for the artist is the main thing and the striving to achieve something different and original and compitive is a driving force for an artist. That's why galleries are so full and the field of fine arts, fiber arts, etc. is so popular.