View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Weezy Rider

Some are confusing "best" with "cost" - The most expensive isn't always the best. Sometimes the name is just snob value. Check reviews on some camera lenses.

The TOL machines cost more - some are mini computers. If you blow a circuit, that's it - major $$$ for a new board.
Those that use the older mechanical and newer quilting mechanical machines have a fighting chance of getting it fixed for far less expense.

It also depends on how you feel about challenges. I can do quite a bit of the fancy stuff like cutwork and a lot of heirloom on a plain zigzag machine. It's more work, but also satisfying. (I collect old books)
I have an old book of the most fantastic machine made lace - made on the first electric Singers. This was an art form.

All mfg would like you to buy the TOL. Those are the most usually reviewed machines. There's good machines and lousy machines manufactured, and there's good machines and lousy machines from your point of view. If you don't want to be bothered with having to adjust a machine almost every time you turn it on, the best tool for you would be a non-computerized model, where the default stitch is where you left it. Just because you are paying a lot less, doesn't mean the machine isn't "quality" if it's well made.