View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Geri B

I am a very strong supporter for prewashing fabrics. This will not happen to most people but this is something I think we should all be much aware. Most woven fabrics have a finish that is applied before it is rolled onto a bolt. This is to prevent the fabric from rubbing holes into itself while on the bolt and being handled. It is also to prevent dirt and oils from hands discoloring the fabric in the stores. That finishing solution has a lot of formaldehyde in it. The formaldehyde prevents the fabric from attracting bugs, and kills any larvae that may still be in the threads. Formaldehyde can cause reactions in people, i.e. light coughing, running nose, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and in rare cases skin rashes. There are other more severe reactions but those are pretty rare. In my case, it is my eyes, actually more my eye lids. The scratching has caused all my eyelashes to come out, (i have actually scratched them out) and my eye lids are very swollen. I have to wash my eyes with baby shampoo 3 times a day (no makeup for me) then apply one drop of medicine in each eye, and apply an ointment to my lids.

.....so, I presume you have to wash all fabric you come in contact with i.e., clothing, linens, uphostered furniture, drapes, etc? Or does this process just apply to fabric on the bolt? Sorry to hear about this dreadful condition, hope it get better for you--how was it determined that this was the culprit of your allergic reaction????? Just curious.......good to know and this might help others........Be Well!!!!