View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 AM
d.rickman

I have to agree with Dodie and Crashnquilt. I also have this problem, and was told by the lady that manages the LQS many quilters have allergic reactions to fabrics, and the reason is the formaldehyde used in the process. The darker fabrics seem to be the ones that bother me the most, so those I do prewash. It only started to bother me when I was working on a black wallhanging, the pieces were so intricate that I had to work sitting on the floor and having the fabric on the coffee table right under my nose, and I had the lighting also close at hand, which intensified the chemicals, the fumes got under my glasses, once I started to rub my eyes, my nose was running like a tap, then I realised something was wrong. I saw my doctor, and he advised that this is common amongst sewers, and I should prewash the fabrics. I find just handling the fabric, and touching my eyes will cause a reaction if not prewashed, now I wear gloves when at the fabric store. I have leather furniture and keep sheep skins on the ones I use, and also utilize a water bed for sleeping. When we have to stay in hotels/motels we take our own bedding.