Thread: Worst Advice...
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Wanabee Quiltin

Every time I hear someone say they don't wash their fabrics before sewing, I just cringe. I have washed some of the best brands in my kitchen sink and the water turns the deepest purple, blue, yellow etc. I have washed some of my fabrics even up to 8 times and the water is still very dark. I put them aside and do not use in my quilts. Once on this board, a woman said she never washed her fabrics, but then she never washed her quilts either. I wash my quilts in my washer and I still use color sheets. Anytime I hear someone say to not wash fabrics, then I think that is the worst advice ever. I have been very lucky in that I had a great teacher who had been a high school sewing teacher for 20 years and she gave wonderful advice that I have been able to pass on. I try and stay open to what I hear but I do know that some people have hidden agendas (like promoting the LQS and their classes). I started making clothes when I was 11 years old and have sewed now for 56 years, I just use my common sense and experience now.