View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Deb watkins

Originally Posted by Nita
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Originally Posted by Nita
Hi Deb ~ I just LOVE that sampler quilt and am in awe that you put all that work into giving it away to new homeowners ...... Next time I buy a house, I want you for my realtor!

Seriously, though, can you tell me what pattern did you use? I am hoping to start a sampler quilt this winter and yours would be perfect.

BTW, I am from Fayetteville, NY, so we are kind of neighbors
Near Syracuse??? The brown sampler is made with 10 different 12" blocks. Starting top L to R: Log Cabin, Nine O'Clock without the nine patch, Antique Tile, 4 Patch with Log Cabin sides, next one was just made from scraps - I am sure there is a name, but I didn't use a pattern, Next is Belle Fleur from Janet in About.com, Pineapples - the tute from our own Moonpi, Arkansas CrossRoads, Queen Charlotte's Crown and Lousianna. Most of them are found on Quilter's Cache. If the blocks weren't 12 inches, I just found a similar design in 12 inch and adapted the cuts. Glad you like it! Didn't let on that this entire quilt was from scraps. :roll:
Yes, near Syracuse ...... Takes me only 20 mins to drive into work (I am a nurse at St Joe's Hosp) Anyways, thanks for the "how to" regarding that beautiful quilt of yours. I have never attempted to make a quilt without an actual pattern, per se. I'm not much of a "wing it" type of gal. and when you refer to adapting cuts to make the block 12"??? Yipes! I guess I need to plug along with my simple quilts for a bit longer until I get enough quilting experience and confidance to tackle a sampler.
When I say adapt, - I simply mean that if the block that I like is an 8 inch or a 10 inch, I look at a 12 inch block that may have the same hst, or four-patch blocks. For example, in our Fall Swap that ColettaKay organized, the block I chose was Autumn Tints 2 - which is an 8 inch block. It is a four patch with a larger solid square. I just looked at the 12 inch blocks that had the four patches in it (I think the size of the small blocks went from 2.5 to 3.5 and the large block went from 4.5 to 6.5 for cutting) I am NOT a math whiz, and will look for the easiest way to do things. Eddie posted a great way to do triangles....in the Fig and Plum Diamonds post....I can't wait to try THAT!