Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
redbugsullivan

That's it!! Been wrangling with this for a while. Why do I prefer piecing with my old National Alvah over the New Home and White. Thanks to you I have figured out the reason!!

This old very basic treadle has a treadle stroke that is long. It takes two feet to keep it smoothly going. To get it started, the treadle wheel gets a push down, not the handwheel. Where it stops, it stays. Accidentally go backwards a couple of rotations? Rarely does a thread break.

It may be rough looking, but my dear Alvah isn't just special because it was my first treadle. It is quietly dependable and feels like an old friend. Thank you for helping me figure this out Nancy! Joe, my New Home 6000 is my go to electric.

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Joe, what is wrong with piecing with a treadle? When I first started treadling I would not have pieced with a treadle - all I did was sew forward then go back - breaking thread constantly. But, after lots of practice, I don't see a different in treadling or using an electric machine, except for speed.
Nancy