View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Hensandchickens

I have several machines. Most were such good deals that I can't manage to part with them. I have a 1896 White treadle ($20 yard sale) that will come in very handy for the Zombie Apocalypse, plus it's in a beautiful cabinet and I use it as a piece of furniture. Next is my Viking Lily that I use for everything. My husband bought that new for me when my other Viking died in the middle of Halloween costume making about 10 years ago. The dead Viking (bought at an auction for around $75) was the first computerized model and I was told it would cost a more for the parts than buying a new machine. Then I bought another Viking at another auction for under $100. It is a basic machine, nothing computerized, sews great and if my daughter ever moves out and needs a machine she can have it. It's a great back-up machine. Next is a Bernina Serger that I bought at a pawn shop for $80. It's great for costume sewing (my son's really into drama). Then my best deal ever was found this past fall at another auction. I got a Bernina 930 Record for $5.00! It works great, but doesn't have any extra feet or the cover. I haven't really used it, but it's here for another back up or if my son starts sewing costumes. Lastly my husband was at an auction with no cell phone reception. He didn't have any idea what a Viking Designer 1 would go for, so he bid up to $300 and another lady got it. He said it had all kinds of hoops, attachments, etc. He was able to get a serger for $35. It's some cheap model from JoAnn's and I can't get it to work. To be honest I haven't tried very hard, because my Bernina Serger is so nice that I don't need another. It was a nice thought, he said he knew my Bernina only had three threads and the one he bought had four. Now I'm trying to justify buying a new Bernina. I really want the stitch regulator and then when the sales lady showed me some embroidery features I could incorporate into a quilt I was sold. So, that's why I have more than one machine.