Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

One huge piece of advice. For you side triangles please make sure the bottom part of the triangle is not the bias edge! In other words don't cut a square in half for your setting side triangles. It will cause huge problems down the road if not handled carefully. Most instructions I have seen for them is to cut big squares then cut them in quarters on the diagonal. The side you attach to your block will be on the bias but the bottom edge which ends up being your quilt edge is on the straight of grain. I also agree with making them oversize.

I am currently quilting a client quilt and it is a mess due to her cutting her setting triangle so the bias ended up being the edge. She stretched the quilt out of shape when attaching the borders and didn't measure down the center of the quilt. I ended up having to remove the borders, remeasure, recut, reattach and starching the dickens out of it while reattaching. Now my borders have no wave but there is a lot of fullness in the center of the quilt. I suspect more was wrong with the construction than just the bias edge but at least the center can be eased in and quilted out for the most part.