View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
kay carlson

The quilt magazine has often been the media where I was first introduced to a specific designer. I, too, save patterns in plastic sleeves for the 3-ring binders. Even so, it is necessary to review the binders periodically and decide what is worth keeping. So much is available now on the internet, in books and magazines, and boards that I can research an item quickly. I am trying to downsize gradually. Time spent in sorting, arranging, cleaning is time away from the sewing machine. When I sort items when I take a break to watch TV with DH, I can tackle a small pile very quickly.

One thought, I group my books together by author using the expanding file holders and/or plastic magazine holders. My study of trying to follow the work of a designer helps me define what they are doing and what I would want to do with that info. Examples: Mary Ellen Hopkins, Barbara Brackman, Judy Martin, Terry Atkinson, etc. I have even had a local printing shop drill holes in some books so that they don't wander off. I can view the book in the 3-ring binder and know exactly where to find my entire collection. :-)

Please be aware of storage areas for magazines and books. A musty item is a liability and usually ends up as trash!