Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
That's it!! Been wrangling with this for a while. Why do I prefer piecing with my old National Alvah over the New Home and White. Thanks to you I have figured out the reason!!

This old very basic treadle has a treadle stroke that is long. It takes two feet to keep it smoothly going. To get it started, the treadle wheel gets a push down, not the handwheel. Where it stops, it stays. Accidentally go backwards a couple of rotations? Rarely does a thread break.

It may be rough looking, but my dear Alvah isn't just special because it was my first treadle. It is quietly dependable and feels like an old friend. Thank you for helping me figure this out Nancy! Joe, my New Home 6000 is my go to electric.
Hummmmm, I started with the Singer 27 from 1900. Pheasant decals almost gone, machine is bad shape, treadle cabinet in worse shape, but that darn machine could sew! I had no idea how to treadle! I think some people are just naturally better treadlers than others! I was terrible. All I did was go back and forth and break thread! If it were not for the fact that my DH could treadle so well, I'd of probably quit trying. He got the biggest kick out of the fact that he could sew with that treadle and I couldn't! Anyway, I don't know if that 27 was any harder to treadle than any other treadle, but it was a good one to learn on! I think if I'd started with my Davis Vertical Feed - I probably would have given up! That machine is a work out! I don't know about the Alvah, but I do have an Elredge Two Spools that is made by National. It is a dream to treadle. Great machine.

Nancy