View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
chris_quilts

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
What do we say to all those quilters who are using older mechanical sewing machines who sew such beautiful 1/4 seams? My Pfaff zig-zag 360 bought new in Germany in 1964 and my new Brother embroidery machine using a 12 inch hoop can not sew a straight stitch as well as my Singer 201. And it has never since 1947 been in the shop for a repair. But it is not the best that I can afford; but certainly the best for putting a quilt top together. And I send the tops out for quilting by choice. There's room for all of us.
Tanya, thanks for this thought. I have enjoyed reading this discussion. I gave away a fine good working Singer that was 25 years old because it was too new and it irritated me that I couldn't remember how it threaded even though that had been my only machine for roughly 22 years. BUT... I discovered vintage machines, became addicted and now only have vintage and antique sewing machines that I use. My go-to, gotta use it, every day machine is a black long-bed 301a Singer. I bought a 2nd 301 for a backup cuz I love them so much and I didn't want my DD using my 301. I am an artist so I'm told by recipients of my quilts and I both piece and quilt with the 301.
Chris