Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I picked up a 401A this weekend. Yes, the really bad seized up one I said I left at the estate sale. The one that had been in a house fire. I went back for it because I thought I might be able to salvage the motor for another machine. Then DH challenged me to try to restore this one.
It feels good to win one once in a while. I have one I haven't won yet. I think I did everything I could to it. This bad boy runs just fine with the clutch off. So I know it is not the motor the wiring or the foot control - besides I changed it out to make sure it is ok. This machine runs good then slows down to a chug chug. It does the same thing with a different motor or foot control. I thought I got it fixed the other day - I spotted a little bit of dried up oil in the balance wheel. It ran fine once it was cleaned up and oiled. I brought it home to sew on it for a while but it was running fine then slowing down AGAIN. I have cleaned and cleaned and oiled - the cam stack shifts smooth as silk - the zig zag glides - Joe suggested maybe the teeth are too close on a couple gears - I haven't seen where yet. I don't really know how that could be adjusted. It is a bit frustrating.