View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
cricket_iscute

New England has a lot to see! It's not a huge area, so you can easily cover all of it on one honeymoon. The Kancamaugus Highway, Route 12, I think, which goes runs East and West in New Hampshire, is not to be missed. You can see for miles and miles at some of the stops. It is beautiful. Stay overnight in Conway or North Conway, and do get a look at Lake Conway. If you rent a campsite, you can also rent a canoe or rowboat at Cove Campground in Conway, and that lake is pure magic. There is a loon nesting area in a cove which I beg you not to disturb, but do look from the main lake; it looks prehistoric. The water is so clear you can see clear to the bottom. I have been out on that lake many times and it is amazing. There are many things to do and see in that area.

I agree with going north to south, and actually, there are few highways east to west in some areas. Montpelier, Vermont, is the last hippie stronghold. Vermont in general is gorgeous! You do have to keep a close watch for large animals in the road in all of Northern New England. In New Hampshire, start at Lincoln and go down the Kancamaugus Highway To Conway. After Conway, go to the Lakes region where - ta da! - Keepsake quilting in Center Harbor is not to be missed. People literally come from all over the world to go to Keepsake. You can go to Maine from there (west to east) and I think that is Highway 25, which is a stop and go, slow road but better than going back almost to Boston and back up. Ask me how I know!!!

Maine is great! Be sure to stop in Camden. You will want to see Ogunquit and the Marginal way, a walk on the cliffs around the ocean. Go up the coast on the route next to the ocean; I think that is Route 1. Arcadia National Park in Northern Maine is about 4 hours from there, but well worth it. Plan to stay in that area a couple days. (Or if you wanted to go there first, there is a northern east-west route to New Hampshire and Vermont.) There are places called Marden's in Maine which are surplus stores, and which carry an amazing selection of quality quilting fabric at very low prices. Any local can direct you to the nearest one. You dollar will go a long way there (unlike Keepsake, which is worth it anyhow.) Traffic will be heavy and slow.

With the exception of Boston, you should be fine driving. In Boston, I would take public transportation or a cab. Drivers are crazy! In fact, it's a good idea to ask about driving customs in all of New England, but especially Massachusetts. The way the driver's manual says it is to be done is often not how it is done. Check both ways before proceeding on a green light, check your rear view mirror before stopping for a red light, do not expect to get the right of way when it is legally yours, watch out for cars turning in front of you when you have the right of way at stoplights, and anything goes on rotaries. (I've driven in New England for 30 years with no accidents following this advice.) I have seen cabs back down Boston sidewalks at 30 mph! Boston has museums, an aquarium, the Harbor, historical walks, and many other attractions. Harvard is in nearby Cambridge and MIT is not far away. Do be sure to get a New England boiled dinner, and always, that great seafood all up and down the coast.

Rockport near Boston is wonderful and I highly recommend Glouster, a fishing town which is a favorite of mine. Have dinner at the Glouster House, and check with the whale watching boats to see who is still going out in October; Cape Ann is a good company for whale watching.

Another nice drive in Massachusetts for leaf peeping is the Mohawk Trail, I think Highway 2, a couple hours south of Boston. Besides that, there is a Shaker Village (google it), but not a lot I would recommend in Western Mass. Cape Cod has a lot of wonderful places. You might want to go from Mass to Rhode Island, then to the south of Connecticut (Yale in New Haven) and back to Hartford/Windsor Locks to fly out of Bradley International Airport.

If you keep an open mind and are willing to take side trips and be adventurous, you'll have an unforgettable time.

Congratulations on your wedding!

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 01-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.