Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
redbugsullivan

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Maybe I should take a second look at my Leader before I sell it if National machines treadle easily. Now it is very stiff, but I haven't played with it at all. The nicest treadler I have touched was the New Home Ruby I gave away.
Let me clarify! My base has been cleaned and oiled regularly. Nary a noise comes from it. But it also has no bearings. Just friction points that are cast iron hold the workings together.

I agree with you about treading those New Home machines! My MIL's is so easy to get started that it almost could sew 12" with a couple of good pushes. My New Home Climax is the same way. But, they also will rotate to the heaviest point on the wheel when stopping if I don't keep my foot on the pedal as a brake. Of course that means if I wanted the needle up, it usually rotates to the down position and vice versa. Royal p-in-the NECK when piecing.

For me, Alvah's slower "go" and two foot treadling gives me more control. I also don't get as tired so quickly because both sides of my body are getting a work-out.