View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Teacup

Oh, yeah...horseshoes are a staple in central Illinois. I work in Springfield, where they originated, and many restaurants serve them. Some are much better than others. Those that use canned cheese sauce are usually not very good . I agree that the buffalo chicken version is very good, if it has a good cheese sauce -- Darcy's Pint serves a great one. But my days of eating these are over, as I've lost weight and intend to keep it off.

When my kids lived at home I very occasionally made them for supper. I baked frozen fries in the oven to cut down on the fat. We liked loose hamburger or ham for the meat. I made my own cheese sauce, never used a recipe, just made a roux and white sauce, like you would start out for macaroni and cheese. Then add cheese and melt them in and some seasonings, especially a good dash of worscestshire sauce and some pepper. It's not hard to do, and you can adjust your sauce to your liking and use your favorite cheeses. If you don't like cheesy fries, you won't like these!