Thread: FMQ question
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
What do they call quilting that uses the old stencil patterns then? Don't you FMQ those? Who works with those?

I don't care for the all-over bit. Right now I have some strips that I might like to do a couple of ovals on, then straight stitch some others. I'd like a site that shows that method. I've got some books - Leah Day does have some decent practice techniques, but I don't like the finished style. I'm playing with that quilt sampler, and I simply don't see the fills she is using. My vision for the blocks is totally different.

I guess I want a tutorial about mock hand quilting, FMQ style. I want to highlight the fabric and color, not machine skills in particular. I think the mock, using patterns would require finer control.
Cindy Needham has a class on Craftsy.com called "Design It, Quilt It" where she covers using stencils for fmq. She also has lots of tips for dividing up a space into sections and then fmq within those spaces. She also has a lesson on placing border designs and how to get them planned out without a lot of math. This is a worthwhile class, I think.