Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
From the ad: "This is a 1950 Singer Featherweight.. The centennial badge was missing the blue color and was filled in. It is the original badge and not a replacement."

Ha! The centennial models are the 1951 models NOT the 1950 models.
Centennial Badges went on machines from as far back as 1948 (I have one) possibly older. That badge went on as the machine left the factory not as the machine was made, so on old stock it would have gone on a 1948 15-90, or potentially a 1950 FW. I -so- wish I could remember where I read that. The same thing's been talked about, here I think, about a Texas exhibition machine that had the wrong year on it.

ETA: Got it! http://singer301.com/about/default.html
" If your machine features a centennial badge, this doesn't mean it was actually made in 1951; instead, Singer applied these badges in celebration of 100 years of Singer manufacturing.
For the Centennial Year Singer installed the Centennial Blue Badge, a Century of Sewing Service, 1851-1951, on their home sewing machines. They were installed by either the factory or Singer Service Centers/stores. All models having a Centennial Badge were considered a "Limited Edition" model for that year. There were so many Singer sewing machines that had the Centennial Badge, some manufactured between 1947-1950, that created doubt in whether they are considered "True Centennials" even though they had a Centennial Badge.
Singer kept no records of serial numbers for any Centennial Singer sewing machines. Serial numbers submitted by owners show the Singer 301 with serial numbers NA000001-NA001000 have the Centennial Badge.
The badges were mostly installed during the later part of 1950 and 1951. It appears that toward the end of 1951, September, they stopped adding badges. Singer felt that a buyer in 1952 would not purchase a Centennial Badge dated machine, thinking it was an older machine.

"

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 01-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.