View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
petthefabric

I tend to be the warmest person in the room. So when I have 3 people in my sewing room, I use a tower fan under my sewing machine that blows directly on my legs. And if that's not enough, another fan on my face. I'm well past menopause but still get power surges. Also, I ask if anyone else is warm. If yes then on goes the ceiling fan (but if it's fast enough for me, it blows everying around).
The room's general lighting is floresent lights that are wired with a regular outlet plug. They have full spectrum bulbs. They're about 16 inches long and can sit on any flat surface or be hung on nails. They have a frosted cover over the light so it isn't a glaring light. I got them at Orchard Supply Hardware. Being portable, they can also be used for a light table.
Then for pressing: my big board is on a butcher's type shelving unit with castors. When there are friends over (or it's a hot day), it is moved into the hallway (very close to the thermostat-I wonder if that's the reason it helps so much) to get rid of a heat source and make more space in the room. If my project requires pressing after every seam, I use the Clover mini wand, it uses 1/60th the amount of power as a regular iron.
Today the outside temp is 68 F, so I open the window. Then there's ice tea. Staying hydrated helps. I usually wear cotton. No shoes or socks. And the most comfortable underware. Or a thin cotton loose fitting dress, with the fan blowing up my dress. These are desperation measures. Hubby won't let me lower the AC temp as low as I'd like- too much $. He says very little about $ spent on my hobby, so it's a small trade off.