View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
sew_Tracy

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Designed a new block today if anyone interested in trying it. Got antsy waiting for Friday and decided to do 3 random blocks on my own. One that I chose was called Contrary Wife. Super simple squares and HST. I found the squares to be too plain so decided to make them into 9-patch squares which should have been 4 1/2 inches when completed. Due to my fuzzy math skills, they came out to only 4 inches...what to do, what to do! I know. I'll make a little border on two sides of each and I will completely break the center one because now the 9-patch squares aren't all square. Next thing I know I am impersonating Eleanor Burns and tossing that center one right over my shoulder. Now what? Don't have enough scraps of the right color to make another 9 patch. Oh, but I have the bonus leftover HST from another block. YES!!!

I give you....Contrary Ex Wife!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390050[/ATTACH]

Directions. Make 4 4 1/2 inch HST. Next, cut strips 1 3/4 inch by I dunno...20 inches? Yes, there is where my math went wonk. Guessing the strips should have been 2 inches, I digress. Make the 9-patch and trim to 4 inches if needed. Sew a 1 1/2 inch strip to the two corner sides and then trim it all down to equal 4 1/2 inches. Make the center windmill with 2 1/2 inch HST. Assemble as shown with the top left and bottom right nine-patch units color strip facing inward and opposing corners color strips facing outward.

Gosh I hope that made some sense!

Oh and here she has grown by 3 blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390052[/ATTACH]
Made the Corn and Beans (upper left), Card Trick (upper center), and Contrary Ex Wife (center right). Not colors I would ever normally choose, but I like it!
Attached Thumbnails img_1994.jpg   img_1995.jpg