View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
TexasGurl

Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
I think it is more of being in the right place at the right time. My BIL gave me one as a gift. When I got so excited he started showing me others. When I started asking questions of their history and started writing it down for labels he came up with more. Yesterday we were leaving and I saw an old trunk and asked about it. We opened it. There were four ratty really dirty quilts. When I stared pulling them out he says those are throw aways. So I volunteered to do it. I think I can save two. Two are too far gone. It's going to depend on the washing. They are too filthy to handle right now. He has even more quilts that I do not have. They go to other family members. If they don't want them I will take them.
A few yrs ago I bought 2 1900's scrap quilts from Kentucky on ebay for almost nothing. The seller said they needed "some" cleaning but I don't think they had EVER been washed ! DH said I should just throw them away. But I soaked them in the tub, the first few times the water looked like coffee. UGH ... Finally got them clean, out in the sun to dry and they looked GREAT. They are 2 of my fav quilts today ... you never know !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 01-23-2013 at 10:14 AM.