View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

My favorite batting so far is still Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton. This is a very traditional batting, used for generations, and needs to be quilted at least every 2 inches. I love the way it crinkles after washing and how soft and thin it is -- perfect for wrapping up. It is also light in weight (because it is so thin). With proper quilting, it lasts forever. The next one I might try is Quilter's Dream Cotton, which I'm thinking may be similar but would have the advantage of being needlepunched (which makes it more stable).

I recently used Pellon's Nature's Touch, which is very similar in weight and handling to Warm and Natural. It was fine for the quilt I used it on, but this is a much heavier batting. Some people like heavy battings, but I just don't. For large quilts I find the end result is just way too heavy; for smaller quilts, I notice that they are not as soft for wrapping around a body (because the drape is stiffer).

Another batting I want to try is Hobbs Polydown, which is supposed to be nice for children's quilts because it dries so fast (and kids' quilts take more trips through the washer and dryer).

I have used Hobbs 80/20 a lot and find that this is a very good batting to start with, for either machine or hand quilting. It has good loft, good drape, good weight, and is easy to quilt with lines moderately apart. It's really my best comparison to other battings. In my case, I find I like the thinness and softness of MMBR a little better. If I had to choose between Hobbs 80/20 and W&N, the Hobbs would always win -- except if I needed to tie the quilt or keep quilting lines 10 inches apart, in which case W&N would win.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-23-2013 at 10:15 AM.