Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Peckish

I haven't read Cluck Cluck Sew's blog yet, so I'm not sure where those stores are located. I know there's Bayside Quilting, located in Olympia which is about an hour south of Seattle. If you don't have access to a car it might be problematic to get to some of these stores.

I've been at Fabric Depot in Portland when tour buses full of quilters arrive. Employees there tell me that since there is such a dearth of quilt shops in the Seattle area, oftentimes guilds will arrange for a road trip to hit all of the Portland quilt shops and fabric stores. It's rather surprising, considering Seattle's size.

Pike Place Market is a blast, and I've been to the SewExpo in Puyallup several times. It's fun - there are classes and mini lectures on everything from tatting to embroidery to altering clothing to paper piecing to wool felting, and there are plenty of vendors. Some of the classes let you play on the new machines to make projects. It does NOT focus on quilting, so don't go expecting that, and it's also not a "show" where you go to look and ooh and ahh over things. The vendors do have things on display, but that's about it for eye candy.