Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM
carriem

Jan--I do my bindings by machine. I like the look of by hand, but like you am usually ready to get to the next project and it seems to take me a long time! I do mine different than most. I sew my binding to the front like when you are doing it by hand, then use binding clips (red clover ones; used to use pins, but love the clips) to wrap it around to the back...making sure to hide the stitching holding the binding on. I sew from the front either by SITD or using a decorative (feather) stitch. I do it this way because when I wrapped from the back to the front it wasn't even...if it isn't even, but catches the binding on the back I am ok with that...plus by using a matching thread, if your binding happens to move on the back and the stitching "shows" it is ok. I do my corners like when doing them by hand. If using a decorative stitch is catches the corner if using just a straight stitch I usually have to go back and tack down the corners by hand. I hope all of this makes sense! If not, I will be doing a binding this weekend and can take pictures and/or can try to explain it better!