Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM
cowpie2

Default Need Advice - assisting Nephew with t-shirt quilt

My nephew decided to make a quilt out of all the t-shirts he's collected will in the National Guard. Of course he has zero sewing experience and started cutting out shirts before he called me. I'm pretty sure he wants me to just take over, which I won't do and I could use some thoughts on how he can proceed given the point he is at.

Numerous t-shirts already cut into squares of various sizes. Wants to "put" them on a solid piece of fabric he bought and use fleece for the back - also already purchased.

My thought is this is going to have to be applique of some type. Maybe use elmers glue to attached each square to the solid piece of fabric and then sew around the edges. Options might be to zigzag the edges or to sew a straight line about 1/4 to 1/3 inch inside the edge to give a raw edge that can be snipped and kind of looks like a rag quilt.

That way he can do all of the gluing and ironing and after I show him one and then with a little demo from me he can do the sewing on the top as well.

Open to any other suggestions out there. Based on his use of my scissors and rotary cutter his skill level is going to be very very beginner.