View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

The woman who sold me my setup did pantos and she used a laser light. She said she learned to buy them and their batteries locally because they cost so much less than "quilting" laser lights!

A wooden stylus was included with my frame. I would say that a laser light would be much better. When I tried the stylus, I had problems getting "stuck" in grooves when they turned. To use a paper panto, you would simply tape the paper on top of the wooden panto. I tried following the wooden panto with a laser light when I went to look at the machine.

If you want to do pantos from the back of the machine, which is where the panto table is, you will probably need to add some "steering" arms on the back of your machine. Mine came with handles on both the front and the back.

I do not like working from the back of the machine because I cannot see the quilt or my stitching. When you do pantos this way, you really are looking at the panto pattern all the time. The former owner of my setup did most of her quilting this way, but I don't like it.

If I ever decide to do pantos, I will probably modify my setup so I can do pantos from the front. There are tutorials online that show how to do this. I think on the Hinterberg, basically all I would have to do is raise the belly bar and position the panto on top of that ledge, add extensions to the "steering arms" on my machine, and tape a laser light to one of the extensions. However, I'm not sure I will ever do pantos; I like to just FMQ, and I just bought a book on how to do easy extemporaneous feathers that do not require sewing on top of previous sewing lines.

What you will want in a machine is the biggest throat and fastest sewing speed (stitches per minute) you have.