Thread: She's done!
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Minerva1

Thank you for all the kind comments.We bought Kit at an estate sale for $28 on November 1st last year. We started taking her apart the next day. We did it slowly and took a few pictures. I forgot to turn off the auto-focus on the camera so what I really wanted a picture of at times was in the blurry background. Live & learn. I received a lot of advice from Glenn & Steve & several others here on the Vintage threads. I hope I wasn't too much of a PIA. I did send the machine head off to someone else to refurbish the innards. I first started using Citistrip to remove the paint on the cabinet but it wasn't getting it all off. Someone suggested ZipStrip. That stuff is fabulous but definitely should be used outdoors or well-ventilated area. I was outside under a carport cover open on three sides. Must have the gloves that can withstand chemicals, too. A couple of toothbrush-like soft brass bristle brushes, a whole large roll of the blue paper shop towels, some throw-away bristle brushes, and of course a few choice words here & there. The weather turning cooler slowed me down and so did the holidays and a bout of cold/flu. If I hadn't been retired, this project would still be going on. My DH helped some but left the majority of it to me. Also, good thing I live in the south and the weather in November and December was relatively mild.