View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by KarynneStorm View Post
Ooh, and how about this one http://materialobsession.typepad.com...5b85f54970c-pi

I have only once worked from a pattern for a full quilt, but it did turn out beautifully. Maybe I should try again.
Wonky Rail Fence - also a great choice - adds a bit more movement to the quilt, I think.
But for that rendition you obviously need more of each fabric.
Since you're busting stash, not using scraps, it should work for you.

Looking at the picture, those larger 9 patch blocks could be anywhere from 9" to 12" FINISHED , so the smaller
Rail Fence units would be around 3" or 4" FINISHED.
Just pick the number of blocks you want - or the size of the quilt - and figure out the other number.

And again, there's contrast in every block, so the darker fabrics create the overall zig-zag.
Actually, with that coloring and only two rails, you could probably use any Log Cabin layout - Barn Raising (as pictured), Streaks of Lightening, Sunshine/Shadows, etc.

I did a (3) Rail Fence quilt years ago, it wasn't a stash buster or using scraps (even though there were small pieces used), and it did have an overall background fabric, but it was fabulous lesson in value, and it remains one of my most favorite quilts ever.

Hope you post what you end up doing.