View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Patty55

Default Foot Pedal Wire Too Short

I did my first project on my new(old) Sovereign machine. Very odd but the foot pedal doesn't reach the floor because the cord isn't long enough. So I put the pedal on top of an inverted trash can and used it anyway. I guess I need a new foot pedal with a longer wire. I decided to take my time looking for a case and for right now, I just cover the machine with a plastic bag.

All I did was put a sharp tipped needle on the machine and she went through 8 layers of Crypton upholstery fabric like it was nothing. Perfect stitching. In no time at all the zipper was in and I had a new dog bed. I do think I need to buy one of those teflon roller feet for heavy fabric. That might make it easier. My next project will be a denim quilt.

When I was researching buying a vintage machine, all roads seemed to lead here so I joined. All I was looking for was a reasonably priced machine that would sew upholstery fabric. I had looked at a lot of new machines that I knew wouldn't hold up even though the price tags were outrageous. I ended up with a Singer(Lotus) treadle and the Sovereign. They are both amazing machines. You can't beat the modern machines for decorative stitches and special applications but for straight sewing, you can't beat the old metal machines. Now that I know I can restore an old machine, it's hard to resist buying more. I understand how you end up with a 'stable' of vintage machines. I love the challenge of making them work again and redoing the finish. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you! It never would have occurred to me that I could turn one of those old rusty hulks into a working machine.