Thread: The Quilt Show
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
MTS
Banned

I've been a paid member of TQS since they started up back in 2007(?).

The great thing is you can watch the show at any time.
When real life exploded last year, I didn't get a chance to watch a show for over a year.
I've just been catching up recently - at my leisure, often at 3AM.
I can watch it on my desktop, laptop, but most often sprawled on the couch in front of my TV.
And the shows in the series that you paid for are available to you forever.

As for sections of the site only available to paid members, seriously, do you think they went into this as a charitable venture?
The sets and camera/sound crew etc all cost money to produce.
Why shouldn't they charge for their product?

Alex and Ricky have both done (separate from the shows but on the site) multiple online lessons in a variety of subjects, from FMQ to Alex's handquilting and motif drafting classes.
Bernina has a TON of short videos on using different feet - not just applicable to Bernina owners.
For every foot that Bernina has, I'm sure there's an equivalent one for a Pfaff or Janome.
And on and on.
Not to mention the Quilt Gallery, with uploaded photos of quilts that run the gamut from very beginner to that-should-be-in-Houston quilts.
Their BOM's are gorgeous - and the subscription to the show is less than BOM patterns cost elsewhere.
There are teacher videos from Jan Krentz and Libby Lehman and Sharon Pederson and other well-known, reputable quilters.
I heard they're working on some deal with Sharon Schamber.

I think it's great value for the money.
Especially for those out there who don't get to go/aren't near guilds or shops and can't go to classes, or aren't able to go to quilt shows.....$42/year (I think I paid less this last time) is a great deal to be informed and check out new notions and techniques.
I'm lucky that I do have the opportunity to do all those things, but I still really enjoy seeing the online shows.

Talk about the value - people here (including myself) p### away the same money on 4 yards of fabric that are going to be sitting around, unused, in their stashes for years.
At least this will get used. ;-)

Oh, and you can buy a half year at a time if you want for around $24.

So, yeah, never regretted it.

Last edited by MTS; 01-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.