View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
MTS
Banned

I totally disagree, especially when it's a quilt show (but even when posting it on a forum).

If you've entered a quilt into a show (or posted the picture), you're opening yourself up for or looking for some sort of reaction.

Now, my reaction could be/should be totally meaningless to you, but I'm entitled to it since you put your product out there.

Here's a recent example:
I saw a Moon Glow quilt in a quilt show recently.
What am I to think of it - as a judge or a viewer?
All it tells me is that the person knows how to use a sewing machine.

While I think it's a beautiful quilt, that quilter deserves none of the credit for it - not the coloring, fabrics, design, complexity.
They didn't create any of it.

Now, if someone had used the pattern but did their own coloring, a small kudo to them, because one can appreciate how much work went into creating a successful substitute palette to Jinny's original one.

Sometimes I see a great quilt posted here, and comment accordingly.
Reading subsequent posts, it turns out it was a pattern. And a kit.
Sort of makes me want to take my comment (admittedly meaningless) back, as the OP neglected to mention any of that in the op...it just came out when people asked about.
Silly me, I thought if it were relevant, it would have been posted with the picture.

So, all other things being equal, I'd give credence to the original over a kit any day.

eta: I sometimes chuckle thinking about the MoonGlow quilt that someone's going to find in an attic a hundred years from now, thinking they found a treasure, only to find out there are literally hundreds of them out there. ;-)